What is a Pre-Surgical Testing?
Presurgical Testing is an important and required step to prepare you for surgery under Anesthesia. You will have some checkups and tests before your surgery. Our surgical team may be asking you questions before your surgery. This is also the time to ask questions about your surgery
Scheduling Your Presurgical Appointment
You will first need to make an appointment to see one of the nurse practitioners working with your surgeon to obtain your preoperative history and perform a physical. Please call your surgeon's office (see "How to Make an Appointment" page) to make this appointment at a mutually convenient time.
What do I bring to my Pre-surgical Appointment?
- Please remember to bring a list of your current medications with you as well as the doses of those medications to your preoperative appointment.
- You may also want to come prepared with any questions or concerns and ask them at that time.
- During the visit, the nurse practitioner will explain what you can expect during your hospital stay.
- You will also be asked to sign a consent for surgery as well as a consent for potential blood transfusion.
- Most patients do not receive blood transfusions during surgery, but we are required to have you sign this consent form, just in case you do need a transfusion and are not awake at the time to give your consent. ALL blood is stringently tested for HIV, hepatitis, and cytomegalovirus (CMV).
- What Medications do I stop before Surgery? Prior to your surgery, our staff will review with you the medications you are currently taking. You will be given instructions on when to stop taking these medications prior to surgery.
How long will the entire process take?
The whole process usually takes two to three hours.
Where do I go for the Appointment?
Your presurgical appointment will be done in M404. To get to M404, take the Greenberg ("G") elevators to the fourth floor, turn left, and go to the large desk at the end of the hallway.
Parking is available right in front of the hospital at the 68th Street circular entrance, or at many garages in the immediate area.