The Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery was established in 1993. Since then, the faculty has been dedicated to excellence in patient care, clinical and basic research on diseases of cardiac and thoracic origin and on educating the next generation of cardiothoracic surgeons. Our department has developed into an internationally recognized program providing state of the art care in heart and lung surgery over the years. NewYork-Presbyterian continues to be named the No.1 hospital in New York by U.S. News & World Report for 16 consecutive years.
Our mission is to provide a well-rounded cardiac and thoracic surgical education providing training in all facets of our specialty:
- Adult cardiac surgery, including surgery for adult congenital heart disease and re-do surgery
- Major resections for cancer of the lungs and esophagus using multiple techniques including Robotic surgery.
- Complex aortic surgery, including aortic dissection using both open and endovascular techniques.
- Valvular heart surgery including minimally invasive mitral valve repair and replacement.
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement
- Endovascular repair of thoracic aortic aneurysms.
- Minimally invasive thoracic surgery, including VATS lobectomy for lung cancer and for resection of mesothelioma (extrapleural pneumonectomy)
- Surgical treatment of end stage heart failure with ventricular-assist devices and extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO).
- Robotic Surgery of mitral valve.
- Surgical treatment of CAD