The Cardiac Surgery Program at NewYork-Presbyterian Brookyln Methodist Hospital was approved by the State of New York in 2003 to provide cardiothoracic surgical care in the borough of Brooklyn. Under the auspices of the Weill Cornell Medicine|NewYork-Presbyterian Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery in Manhattan, the first case was performed in 2004.
Our surgeons and cardiac anesthesiologists are full-time faculty members in the Weill Cornell Medicine Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery and remain active at the Manhattan campus. The multidisciplinary faculty and staff — including intensivists, perfusionists, nurses, physician assistants, physical therapy, ancillary services, and office staff — are committed to providing Brooklyn with the same outstanding level of care that patients have come to expect from NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital.
To date, over 1,000 cardiac surgical procedures have been performed at NewYork-Presbyterian Brookyln Methodist Hospital. With additional cardiologists, catheterization labs, pulmonary specialists, and an ever-increasing outside referral base, we expect
the volume of thoracic and cardiac surgical procedures to continue to grow.
Comprehensive Surgical Services
We provide a complete spectrum of cardiac and thoracic surgical procedures in adults.
Cardiac surgical procedures include:
- On- and off-pump coronary artery bypass graft (CABG)
- Complex mitral and tricuspid valve repair
- Valve replacement
- Repair of thoracic and thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysms and aortic dissections, in many cases using endovascular techniques in collaboration with our Vascular Surgery team
- Adult congenital heart surgery (such as atrial septal defect, ventricular septal defect, and anomalous pulmonary veins)
- Re-operative cardiac surgery
- Surgical treatment of atrial fibrillation with the MAZE procedure
- Robotic cardiac surgery
Thoracic surgical procedures include:
- Lung surgery to remove benign and malignant lesions (pulmonary resections, including wedge and lobectomy techniques)
- Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgical (VATS) and robotic procedures for pleural effusions, pneumothorax, biopsies, and wedge resections
- Minimally invasive mediastinal tumor surgery
- Repair of hiatal hernias
- Esophageal surgery
NewYork-Presbyterian Brookyln Methodist Hospital also offers extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) for patients in severe respiratory distress, in conjunction with the Pulmonary Failure Program, and ventricular assist devices (VADs), in conjunction with the Heart Failure Program.
Our surgeons travel to other nearby community hospitals, such as Interfaith Hospital, Lutheran Hospital, and Coney Island Hospital, to participate in clinics and conferences. We also offer transfer and consulting services at Wyckoff, Interfaith, and Brooklyn Hospitals.
Our surgeons are reaching out to local primary care physicians and pulmonologists to acquaint them with the robotic thoracic surgical procedures available at NewYork-Presbyterian Brookyln Methodist Hospital.